This website gives some good tips about understanding your own body language. Unsurprisingly, it’s vital to understand the context. Body language is like a game of Chinese whispers as signals get distorted, but they can still be a useful guide. We use them all the time!
Here are some of the top tips:
- It’s important to make eye contact, but don’t stare. Both extremes can be a bit creepy, people who don’t look at you when you speak or at the other end of the scale, people who constantly stare.
- Don’t fidget – it can be really distracting. So if you are a leg shaker, a pen tapper or someone who fiddles with their jewellery, be mindful of this and stop!
- Smile. But make sure it’s sincere…
- Relax your shoulders. We carry a lot of tension there, so try and loosen them up.
- Handshakes are important and often the first contact you have with someone. So ensure they are firm and always hold out a vertical palm (palm down and palm up can mean that you are dominant or submissive respectively, so avoid these gestures).
And many more – check out the website for the low down on your body language.